Saturday, February 5, 2011

Women's Dinner

Last weekend, I had the privilege of attending our church's annual Women's Dinner.  It was an elegant evening filled with meeting new ladies, eating delicious food, and hearing testimonies of the Lord's work in these women's lives. 

I volunteered to be a table hostess (this is the first time I've done something like this) and thus decorate our table.  I thoroughly enjoyed contemplating how I would decorate my table and pulling out fine china pieces that we received for our wedding.  Also, being thrifty/frugal is something that enjoy very much...it's as if I make it a game to see how much I can do for the least amount of cost, and I do love games!  So, that's just what I did with this little venture.  I enjoyed viewing others' tables and gleaning their frugal and creative ideas, too!


A white table cloth and a cream overlay with pink swirls were used to cover the table.  I used small clear candle holders (I save these from candles that are given to me or that I purchase & turn them upside down on a cookie sheet covered with foil-- low temperature in the oven-- to get remaining wax out.  Then, just put a new candle in and you can reuse it!) and tied coordinating ribbon around them.  I already had the ribbon and new white candles, so I didn't have to buy them.  And, I used the same ribbon to make napkin rings. 


I purchased the pink and cream roses that I used from the Dollar Tree.  I LOVE this store!  I find so many things here that I can use for craft projects, around the house, and with my students.   Five stems of flowers was enough to fill three containers.  I borrowed Caleb's wire cutters to cut the stems apart before placing the flowers in containers that I had from around the house.  Then, I used scissors to cut some of the petals apart to sprinkle around my table.  Having the exact color petals to match the flowers looked really nice.   Low lighting was used at the dinner, and one of the ladies commented that she thought the roses were real :)!

The final product!  
My new friend Amanda and me.

I had such a fun time at this event.  It's so nice to have "girl time" every once and awhile, and I'm so thankful for a husband who supports that.   

Ideas that I gleaned from other ladies that you might enjoy:  black chargers with paper lace doily make a pretty "plate; cover cardboard salt and pepper shakers with ribbon coordinated to your table; if your mugs are a neutral color and you want to "dress them up" use bands of sequins to wrap around them.

I would love to hear your frugal tips and ideas!

2 comments:

  1. what a great job, friend!
    so pretty!

    miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Stephanie! I was just thinking about y'all today. I hope you are doing well. I miss you, too :).

    ReplyDelete