Monday, September 14, 2009

Fall is in the Air!

I just LOVE this time of year! The air is cooler, the leaves are changing colors, and the aroma of baked apples and pumpkin spice fills the air (or at least I want it to :)). I'm currently on my track-out break, and I have really enjoyed doing all sorts of things that aren't school-related...you know, the kinds of things that I want to do during the week while I'm teaching, but I'm so exhausted by the end of the day that it's usually difficult to muster up the strength (cleaning, organizing, reading, trying out new recipes, spending time with friends, going to some of Caleb's seminary classes, etc). Here are a few pictures of our Fall decorations.
This is a Fall wreath I placed on our front door. I made it some time in the last few years. I bought silk flowers at the dollar store (or possibly Michaels--on sale) and used Caleb's wire cutters to cut them apart. I bought the grapevine wreath (at Michaels, I think) and placed the flowers in between the vines.
This little display is to the left of our front door. Here, I glued a dowel rod to the back of the larger scarecrow (again from the dollar store) before placing him in this plantar (full of dirt & bulbs that will hopefully bloom again next summer!). I glued florist's wire to the back of his arms so that they would stay outright. I had several strands of Fall leaves that I wrapped around the top and bottom of the pot for decoration, but hopefully they will provide some coverage for the bulbs from cooler temperatures when they come. Eventually, I'll take the decorations off and cover the planter with hay or pine straw.
I added a little sign to this display that I made on the printer. It's actually double sided (with a picture of apples on the back that reflect against the bathroom mirror). I backed each picture with brown cardboard and glued a skewer in between the two pieces of cardboard so that it will stand up between the flowers (Thanks, Stephanie, for this cute idea from Hollie's baby shower!).
Mama and I found this candle display at the Craven pottery in Commerce, GA (since gone out of business) a few years ago. I placed some Fall garland around it (purchased last year on sale!) and added pumpkin tea light candles to the candle holders (dollar store).
I know it won't officially be Fall until next week, but I wouldn't mind if it were here already!

1 comment:

  1. Fun post! Makes me want to pull out the pumpkin brad recipes and get in the kitchen! :) i LOVE Fall, too! great decor!
    *love that you got creative with your sign-made that one up on the spot. :)

    lets hook up, soon, please! :) maybe before your school tracks back in?

    ReplyDelete